Great, Big, Giant Leaps

It feels like a whole lifetime of events has happened in the past week and half since I left for Familia Feliz in Bolivia.  Throw the "like drinking from a firehose" saying out the window. I feel like someone took a bulldozer to an entire fire hydrant and replaced it with my mouth.  Currently, it's like I am outside of my body only able to watch as my legs try to run down the hill known as "Familia Feliz".  But, the hill just keeps getting steeper and my legs can only keep up for so long--I can only run so fast.

It all started with my 24-hour trip to get to Rurrenabaque.  Two Thursdays ago I was scheduled to fly to Miami from Atlanta at 2:00.  After waiting two hours on the plane for a mechanical issue to be fixed, we disembarked, only to re-embark twenty minutes later and finally depart.  Fortunately, I had a long layover in Miami and the short flight there still allowed some time for my "Last Supper" consisting of two slices of pizza and a bagel.  From there I flew to Santa Cruz, Bolivia, then to La Paz, Bolivia, then to Rurrenabaque, Bolivia. These trips had their own complications as my Spanish-speaking traveling companion had delays as well and ended up missing the flight in Miami.  What lack of issues I had as far as flights (more than half the SM's in Bolivia missed or had cancelled flights causing all sorts of trouble) was made up for when I arrived at the ticket counter in Santa Cruz.  It was time to find out just how much Spanish I had managed to learn over the summer.  I struggled quite a bit with checking-in, exchanging some cash for the local currency, "Bolivianos", and ordering breakfast at the tiny cafe in the waiting area. But, in the end, I was able to accomplish what I needed to and gained some confidence in my Spanish along the way.

Finally, after a whole day of continued traveling with only four hours of sleep, I made it.  As soon as I hopped out of the truck and set foot on campus, three boys grabbed my suitcases yelling something about "vegetales" (You should have seen their faces when I told them my name: "Messi???" they repeated as best they could with their accents, "like the soccer player?").  I followed them to my new home, "La Casa de los Vegetales" (The house of vegetables; all of the homes are named after food.) and met some fellow volunteers who live in the same house and take care of our ten boys.  It's quite a rowdy bunch of 13-17 year-olds, but I already have a soft spot for them.  Although I've already had to physically separate two of them and discipline them for some stolen food and bathroom shenanigans, they have proven to be a pretty tightly-knit group of hard workers.

I quickly learned that at Familia Feliz, it's trial by fire.  There wasn't any kind of orientation or information given to me about the schedule, rules, or what my responsibilities were.  Those of you who know me pretty well know that I'm a "by the rules" kind of guy.  I like writing lists and having my day planned out ahead of time.  I don't know if I will ever finish figuring out how things work around here.  But, with each day, I am feeling a little more comfortable in this crazy environment and I can only hope that my adaptation will continue.

Last Monday, I had my first day off and was able to go into the town of Rurrenabaque (Rurre). Two fellow SMs, Kaitlynn and Seth, and I took a  7-seat taxi with 6 others (no, the math doesn't exactly check out). I usually feel slightly threatened when I'm walking around in an unfamiliar city, but although in a different country, Rurre feels very safe.  Both Kaitlynn and Seth have been here for about a month now, so they were able to show me some of the Bolivia SM staples: the French bakery (weird concept for Bolivia, but delicious nonetheless), the market, and where to find a taxi to return to the orphanage.  I bought some snacks and TP (everyone is expected to have their own here, which they guard almost as closely as they do their one spoon and bowl with which they eat every meal) and then we decided to hike up to the "cross", emphasis on "up". The hike is basically just a half-mile staircase/scramble up to a white cross that overlooks the entire city (see pictures below).  After a slightly sketchy peach and pineapple pizza, I decided to return back to Familia Feliz to take a glorious, freezing-cold shower.

The next day I taught my first two English classes.  Teaching was probably the thing I was most worried about before arriving.  But, it has proven to be one of the highlights of my day.  I really enjoy planning out the lessons in order to teach the kids in the most simple way possible (helpful for them and me as I have been teaching in Spanish).  Sure, I may burn out in a month or so, but who knows? Maybe I can reinstate teaching as a viable option for my future.

Despite all my complaining, I cannot help but think I have been very blessed in how things have worked out. I arrived on the weekend which is the most relaxed part of the week.  Because of this, I was slowly eased into my responsibilities, even though it felt quite rushed.  I didn't have any delays or cancellations with my flights and I have a great group of kids who will be in my care for the next ten months.  God is good and I know that He can use me to reach these kids.

TL;DR
Time flies when you're in over your head.  It took a long time to get here, but I was blessed with safe travels and minimal complications.  I now live in the "vegetable house" with ten rambunctious teenagers who think I'm a soccer star (Probably the furthest possible thing from the truth).  Familia Feliz is going to test my patience and OCD about having a schedule.  Luckily, I get a day off every week and the fun, little town of Rurrenabaque has plenty to do and see. Teaching isn't half bad... in fact, I LOVE IT. God is good.

Hasta la proxima vez!

P.S. Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.


 View of the Andes coming into La Paz

La Casa de los Vegetales

Definitely not chopping down the rain forest for more farmland

View of Rurre and the Beni river from the "cross"

 Some gringo tourist wearing an SAU intramurals shirt

 Rurre's backdrop



Comments

  1. Love the photo of the Andes, how cool that you got to see them from the air! And finding pizza seems promising.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment