Goodbye

Warning: Long, emotional post ahead

What an end to the experience of a lifetime.  I knew these last two weeks would have some unforgettable moments, but I never expected just how much it would fill me up, and then overflow in the form of tears as my plane sped down the runway in Rurre.  My time as an SM has taught me so much about myself, love, the world, and God. I will always hold Bolivia, Familia Feliz, and the experiences I had there close to my heart. No one, not even the other SM’s who were there, will ever know my exact experience and how it changed me.  I can say, however, that every sacrifice was worth it, and I wouldn’t trade my time at Familia Feliz for anything.


I really began to feel the nostalgia on my day off a couple of weeks ago.  I had the opportunity to go to town before dawn, so I grabbed the rest of my trail mix (so much for a handful a day) and set off on the trail to the cross that overlooks Rurre.  I raced up the steps and crested just as the sun came up over the adjacent mountains. It was a surreal experience that almost had me in tears. Through the beauty of the sunrise, I felt as though God was assuring me, “Well done my good and faithful servant.”  There have been times in which I wondered if I was wasting my time in Bolivia or not exploiting my full potential there. God showed me through the beauty of nature, however, that this past year abroad has not been a waste, but rather one of the greatest blessings in my life.

The blessings are proving hard to recognize after all of the goodbyes that were said, though.  Finals week was pretty tough for both me and the kids as a different SM left each day. It was a pretty stellar group I must say.  We had our ups and downs, but as we celebrated with one final hoo-rah, we couldn’t help but feel sad that our time together, difficult or not, was almost over.  Some of us will be back at Southern this semester, others will head back to Walla Walla (despite all attempts by both parties to convince the other to transfer), and two will actually be staying at Familia Feliz for at least another semester.  There’s a decent chance we will see each other again, but it will probably never be under the similar circumstances. Whether I see each individual again or not, I want to thank each and every one for contributing to my experience; it wouldn’t have been the same without you.

Familia Feliz is all about the kids, which is why that goodbye was the hardest. Saying goodbye to them was a process that began with the last special dinner.  I decided to spend half of my last day off cooking a huge meal consisting of quesadillas with homemade tortillas, rice, soy meat, and cinnamon rolls. The compliments I got from the boys were nice, but I was just happy to do something special once more for my boys and enjoy a final meal together.  I also gifted each of my boys several of my belongings to remember me by. When the day of my departure arrived, the real goodbyes started. I took about an hour to say goodbye to different kids and give some of my students handwritten notes. Surprisingly, I didn’t shed a single tear in that moment, which seemed to help the kids maintain their composure as well.  The overall spirit was relatively high as we all had an overshadowing hope of reuniting that masked the sadness. As a final gesture before getting into the car to go, I left some letters for my boys on their beds with some encouragement, advice, things I will miss about them, and my WhatsApp number.

Saying goodbye and leaving Familia Feliz is probably one of the hardest things I have ever done. I may have been able to stay strong while saying goodbye to the kids, but the 30 minute plane ride to La Paz was a mess.  I bawled the entire way as I read notes the kids had written for me and watched my beloved second home disappear below the clouds. To leave behind all of the effort I’ve put in wasn’t easy, but leaving the people behind was even harder.  The good news is, the relationships I made will stand the test of time in spite of their conclusion. That may sound a little confusing, but the truth is, they are the one thing from my SM year that will continue to impact me throughout the rest of my life on earth, and beyond.  Relationships also happen to be the only thing we get to take to heaven with us--for that reason, I feel very blessed to have had each and every relationship despite the sadness brought on by having to leave them, and Familia Feliz, behind.

Rurre will always feel like home to me, perhaps even more so than my hometown of Merced.  Not in regards to my house, but in regards to the city itself. Of course, I had a lot of friends and family in Merced, but I never formed relationships with the local townsfolk like I did in Rurre.  I had my favorite almacenes (like a small grocery store) market stands, and restaurants. I knew the owners and even some of the other regulars. I will miss being greeted at the door and making small talk with complete strangers while shopping or waiting in line.  

The significance of such relationships became evident to me last week at Hotel Takana (WiFi central).  My plans to finish some preliminary summer camp work on my laptop had been ruined after I forgot to bring my USB mouse--an essential component due to the dysfunction of my laptop’s keyboard/mousepad.  As I chatted with the owner of the hotel, I saw that she had a USB mouse for her laptop. I explained the situation and she was sympathetic at once. She graciously offered to let me use hers for the day which allowed me to take advantage of my last opportunity to use WiFi before arriving in the States.

I haven’t been the only one to benefit from these relationships, either.  That same day off, I went to go say goodbye to my buddy Yufar at the immigrations office, and to leave him my teaching notes for English.  Although I only got to do four or five English lessons with him, I think it really made an impact. The situation was a win-win-win as he got free English lessons, I didn’t get deported after they found out I was on the wrong visa, and future SM’s/Familia Feliz volunteers will have a good reputation with the immigrations officers.

I’ve also gotten to know some of the church members in town fairly well.  Last weekend was a short camp meeting hosted by the Rurre church and attended by five other churches in the surrounding towns.  Familia Feliz was asked to send some representatives as well to participate in the activities and services. The weekend’s theme was “family” which is exactly what we felt like as we participated in the different events.  Throughout the book-based trivia challenge (the theme was based off of a specific book: “Esperanza para la Familia”--”Hope for the Family”), 5k race, and wallyball tournament, it was pretty clear that Familia Feliz was one of the most closely knit groups.  We may not have won the first prize, (winner took home a calf--only in Bolivia...) but I feel that we demonstrated the weekend’s theme better than anyone. It was a busy, fun weekend, and I was able to interact with and get to know some of the people from the surrounding churches a little better.

Another relationship that will continue to impact me is that which I had with one of the newest students at Familia Feliz. This boy and his sister came very late in the semester after finding out their father had cancer.  He declined rapidly, and the mother thought it would be best for them to be out of the house due to the stress and difficulty of taking care of them and the father at the same time. The son is a very conflicted pre-teen who was nothing but trouble from day one.  He’s an extreme pest that can dish it out all day, but can’t take it himself. Although he’s not in my house, I feel for him and have stood up for him a couple times when he was being ridiculed on the volleyball court.

One day, as I was returning from class, the boy called me over to a torito (Bolivian rickshaw) where Sam, the director, was talking with the dying father who couldn’t even sit up.  The boy brought me over and said, “Teacher Mason, I want you to meet my dad!”. After watching them interact, I suddenly understood all of his bad behavior. This kid was actively losing his father whom he obviously would’ve given the world for.  I was honored to be called over to meet someone so special to him.

During this encounter, the father expressed interest in having Bible studies.  Sam arranged for some volunteers to go each night, and after just three days, we had a baptism scheduled.  Never have I seen so much good come out of such terrible circumstances. My heart was broken as the family helped the young father hobble into the church for the baptism.  The tear drops started falling as I got to thinking that this whole situation was due to one terrible choice that has affected all of humanity. But, as he entered the water clinging to the arms of the pastor, an amazing peace came over me.  This decision that the father had made to be baptized represented the decision Jesus made to die on the cross in order to nullify the consequences of sin. And, just as Jesus raised from the grave, so raised a new man from the water--not healed, but changed forever.  It was truly an amazing experience to see and feel a fraction of the sadness, peace, and final joy of the Easter story by watching a traditional Adventist baptism.

Time has nearly run out for this sick father, but only on this earth.  Because of his decision, I believe that he will be taken to heaven when Jesus returns.  What a beautiful promise. This sinful world holds death and lost relationships over our heads, but all of that will be done away with when the world is created anew.  I may have learned a lot about the love of God during my time here, but only then will I truly understand the kind of love it takes to make such a sacrifice--that of an only son. I may not comprehend His never-ending love right now, but nevertheless, I am thankful for the gift He has given us as it means “goodbye” is only for a short time.

TL;DR

The unforgettable end to my unforgettable journey has arrived.  I didn’t always feel that I was making a difference, but God painted me an assuring picture that told me my work wasn’t in vain.  One by one, the SM’s left, and soon it was my turn. Saying goodbye was a process for me (and it’s probably not over yet). I stayed strong for the kids, but the plane ride out was a different story.  It’s hard to tie off relationships, but they have the biggest impression and effect on the rest of one’s life, even if they are aren’t continuing. I will remember the impact each relationship and person had on me--from the kids, to Yufar the immigrations officer, to the hotel owner, to the dying father.  Most of all, I will remember how relationships can lead to changed lives. Salvation is a gift to all that should be shared and used as a source of hope--”goodbye” is never for too long.


Protective bee clothing (bee equipment photos as promised)

Bee hives

Strategic positioning of the new beehives

 "Well done my good and faithful servant"

Special dinner

Soy meat, rice, quesadillas, and cinnamon rolls

Sabbath afternoon outreach during campmeeting

5k

Familia Feliz representatives at campmeeting

Birthday celebration before finals week

Freshman chemistry/physics

Sophomore chemistry/physics

Junior/Senior  chemistry/physics


Highlight reel

Comments